Ads 468x60px

Saturday, February 22, 2014

Quilted Purse with Nicole

Have you seen all the cute new purses?!  I'm not a girly girl and rarely carry a purse, but these are so dang cute!  I plan to make some of these and fill them with some candy and gift cards to give to my girlfriends for presents this year.

Samantha already posted a wonderful tutorial about how to put the barrel purse together.  This is available as both a silhouette studio file, or an SVG file from digiplayground.com. What I want to show is how I adding faux quilting with my favorite medium . . . vellum.  I know, I know, I need a twelve step program. ;)  Here is a look at the finished project and then I'll show you how I achieved the look.





I separated the body of the purse from the other elements in the file and cut these all from dark purple cardstock.

I then cut the exact same elements from vellum.  
Once the vellum was cut I then took each piece and laid it sideways on my scoring board.  

Carefully score at 1/2 inch intervals along the whole piece.  

Turn 90 degrees and score the exact same way.  Here is what it looks like after being scored in both directions.  

I now attached the vellum pieces to the base cardstock by using some liquid glue on just the notches.  

I knew I wanted to using machine stitching and that is why I took the time to glue the vellum to the base so it wouldn't move around so much as I sewed around the edges.  I added stitching to both of the larger pieces and along the edges of the oval and half moon ones.      
At this point I started to get really excited.  I love the effect of the scored vellum and it really was starting to look like quilted fabric. The straps I cut from a lighter shade of purple cardstock and then inked the edges lightly with some purple chalk ink.  

I did one last cut of the little furnishings in silver glitter cardstock.  

Here was the tricky part - assembly.  Samantha has already put together a wonderful tutorial here.  
I do want to mention that I put mine together with hot glue.  I don't always have the patience to wait for the liquid glue to dry and it helped when I put this one together since the vellum doesn't soak up glue as fast with it's smooth finish.  

Once assembled I topped it off with a seam binding bow, green leaves, and a vellum flower.  


Thanks so much for stopping by the blog today.  There are three new purse styles to choose from and I hear there might be a few more coming.  Here are the two files I used below.  Click on the pictures and it will take you right to the file in the Silhouette Store.  

No comments:

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! Without your readership, I wouldn't be doing a blog.

My blog is supported by sponsors and affiliates. If you decide to make a purchase through my affiliate links, I am paid a small commission for it. This doesn’t cost you anything additional. These commissions help to keep the rest of my content free, and allow me to blog more often.

From time to time I make recommendations of products that I love to use, or products that I have designed. Occasionally, manufacturers send me products to play with. They have not obligated me to show them on my blog or review them. I only make positive remarks about those things that I truly love and enjoy to use. Everyone's personal experience with various products may be different, as we all use things in different ways. I am not compensated for these remarks, and merely pass on my opinion to you as a reader. I hope you find my opinions valuable.

Thank you for supporting my blog!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...