Ads 468x60px

Monday, January 16, 2012

Creative Imaginations Nautical Sneak Peek! & Spellbinders Blog Frenzy Follow Up!


If you are coming back for Day two of my Spellbinders two-part blog frenzy post...Thank You for stopping by again! I want to show you how I did my Nautical frame project from yesterdays Spellbinders post...  
AND as a bonus for coming back, give you a sneak peek 
of my new Nautical collection for Creative Imaginations. Make sure to check out the Creative Imaginations blog for some gorgeous projects using this line.
(more pictures after tutorial.)

S5-082 Nautical Frame and Accents
MSRP: $29.99
PRODUCT SIZES:

Border: 9 x 5/8"
Frame: 3 ½ x 2 ½" inside opening: 3 x 2"
Swirls: 2 ¼ x 1 3/8"
Ribbon: 3 ¼ x 1 /2"
Starfish: 1"
Sand Dollar: 7/8"
Shell: 1 ¼ x ½"
Anchor: 1 1/8 x 1 ¼"
Lighthouse: 1 ¼ x 2 ½"
First I selected a pretty glitter paper that glistened like sand. Then I ran my dies through my Spellbinders Grand Calibur machine, with the dies face down to the non glitter side of the paper, to cut the shapes I wanted.
Then while the dies were still "loaded" with my paper, I ran them through my Grand Calibur machine to emboss them.

I direct inked the edges of my sand castle frame with some dark mustard ink to give it a little pop.
I then selected a piece of contrasting card-stock to create a double mat. I traced my castle shape onto the card-stock.
Then I cut out the center a little larger than my trace marks in order to expose only the outer edge mat around my castle frame.
Then I layered the sand castle frame onto my newly cut mat.
I then chose a glittery aqua paper for the water. I cut the design, but then carefully reserved the negative cut that the die made so that I could use both. 

You can better see what I mean by my positive and my negative cuts here.  The swirly one on top is what the die cuts, but the cut below that is the negative space that the die creates and it is equally as beautiful and useful.

I played with my wave shapes and my frame before settling on a design.

Still playing with the waves...
This is what I settled on...
and here's the finished frame...this could also be fun as a scrapbook layout by adding a title and some journaling.

Okay...here's the inspiration behind my Nautical collection. You can also see some gorgeous projects with this new collection on the Creative Imaginations blog.

I grew up near the ocean...not right on it...but about a 45 minute drive over the Santa Cruz mountains from San Jose. I loved that drive...making my way over the top of those ridges and then around a few bends...my heart would thump as I would see a glimpse of the ocean in the distance and know that I'd be on the beach with sand in my toes in just a short while. We spent many a happy occasion with friends or family at beaches along the Northern California coast.We built many a sand castle with our beach pails and shovels. We collected sand crabs by chasing their bubbles in the sand. We also enjoyed going to "the Boardwalk" in Santa Cruz...a beach side amusement park with retro carnavel flair. I loved the rickety wooden roller coaster "the giant dipper", and the smell of cotton candy and kettle pop corn. All those memories always invoke a smile on my face.

Those are the kinds of memories that inspired me to create the Nautical collection. The red white and blue colors remind me of the colors at the Boardwalk amusment park which was infused with these colors. The Dipper was a white roller coaster with red accents. The deep navy blue ocean along the northern coast with the bright blue skies was also inspiration for the coloring in this line. I took artistic license and added lighthouse icons to this collection to give it a "dual coastal" feeling...I know that lighthouses and lobster are indicative of the East coast.
Nautical Papers and stickers by Samantha Walker for Creative Imaginations. Anchor and yellow glitter tag are cut from Spellbinders dies from the Nautical collection by Samantha Walker.
Tool chest design is a digital die cut by Samantha Walker for Silhouette America.
Nautical stickers by Samantha Walker for Creative Imaginations
Nautical stickers by Samantha Walker for Creative Imaginations
Nautical paper by Samantha Walker for Creative Imaginations
Nautical paper by Samantha Walker for Creative Imaginations
Nautical paper by Samantha Walker for Creative Imaginations

Nautical paper by Samantha Walker for Creative Imaginations





9 comments:

  1. I love this line and your LO is awesome!! Thanks for the how to!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, the lobster paper is to DIE for! I absolutely LOVE this collection! It reminds me of the many childhood summers I spent on the beaches of Nantucket and Maine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh sooooooooooooooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely layout and papers

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is fabulous - can't wait to get hold of this and play.x

    ReplyDelete
  6. The very best nautical collection I have yet to see!! I love the wave die and the lobster paper is just way too cute!! Great L/O

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the nautical look! The negative cuts look just like waves!
    Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your Spellbinders project. This new paper is just my favorite. Such great seaside designs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This might just be my favorite line of yours to date!! I love it!! Love the Spellbinders that go with it too! That frame is awesome!!
    xoxo, Christine

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! Without your readership, I wouldn't be doing a blog.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...